Mango, National Fruit of Pakistan Learn It’s Production & Exports
Mango, ( آم ) is produced by the tropical tree Mangifera indica, The fruit is not only the National fruit of Pakistan but also the National fruit of India and the Philippines.
Mangoes are low in calories and high in fiber, A Study shows that mango has several health benefits such as improved digestive health and immunity boost nutrients, and contains some other nutrients that are beneficial for heart health.
It is delicious, juicy, and one of the tastiest fruits in all, National fruit in summer is mango while guava ( امرود ) is known as the national fruit of Pakistan in winter, Mango is also considered as the king of fruits and the most cultivated fruit of the tropical world.
The season of mango in Pakistan starts in June and continues from August to September its taste whether sweet or sour depends according to the ripening of the mangoes.
Pakistan is the 5th largest mango producer in the world after Mexico, China, and Indonesia, while India tops the list of most productive countries.
According to Wikipedia production of mango in Pakistan hits 2.3 million tons annually.
Types of Mangoes in Pakistan
Roughly There are more than 500 varieties of mangoes But, only around 200 mango types are grown locally.
The main cities where mostly mangoes grown are Rahim Yar Khan, Bahawalpur, Mirpur Khas Vehari, Muzaffargarh, Sahiwal, Multan, Sadiqabad, Dera Ismail Khan, Khanewal, Thatta, Bahawalpur, Hyderabad, Peshawar, and Mardan.
Mango fruit may vary in sweetness, shape, size and skin colour, which may be, green, orange, yellow, or gold yellow let’s take a look at some different mango varieties in Pakistan.
- Sindhri Mango ( سندھڑی آم )
- Chaunsa Mango ( چونسہ آم )
- White Chaunsa Mango ( سفید چونسہ آم )
- Black Chaunsa Mango ( کالا چونسہ آم )
- Anwar Ratol ( انور رتول )
- Langra Mango ( لنگڑا آم )
- Dasheri Mango ( دسہری آم )
- Fajri Kalan Mango ( فجری کالان آم )
- Almas Mango ( الماس آم )
- Alphonso Mango ( الفانسو آم )
- Saroli ( سرولی )
- Lal Badshah ( لال بادشاہ )
Facts About Mango
- Mango was First Grown In India, 5000 Years Before.
- Explorers From Spain Introduced Mango In South America and Mexico In the 1300s And Its Firstly Brought to Florida, US in 1833.
- If you cultivate a mango tree from the seed it will Take 4 to 6 years to bear fruit.
- The oldest living Mangifera indica mango tree found in central India is almost 300 years old and interestingly it’s still producing fruit.
- Among other mango varieties, Alphonso is considered the king of mangoes.
- Around 54 million tons of mango produces every year in the world.
- Pakistan is the 5th largest producer while India is the largest producer of mango in the world.
- Pakistan Produce 2.3 Million tons of Mango every year.
- An unripe mango will ripen itself if we left it in a brown paper bag at room temperature.
- Leaves of the mango tree are toxic for cattle feed and the burning of wood, and debris is also toxic.
- According to Guinness World, the heaviest mango in the world is grown in Colombia Records 4.25 kg (9.36 lb) and the record was set on 25 July 2020.
Pakistani Mango Exports
Pakistan is the 3rd largest mango exporter in the world, Country’s Yearly Exports Stand at 150,000 tons mainly in the Middle East, Europe, The US, Japan, Australia, China, South Korea and other countries.
Pakistan exports around 6% to 8% of mango from its total production every year, The Revenue that Pakistan Earn from these exports is somewhere around $90m to $100 Million.
Read Also: National Tree of Pakistan
International trade centre’s export map tools had analyzed that Pakistani Mangoes export had the potential to reach $227 Million However, Due to global warming and excessive climate change Pakistan’s production instead of increasing its decreasing.
Calories in a Large Mango
A large Size of Mango Contains 201 grams of calories.
While a single Cup Full of Mango Slices Contains 165 Grams of Calories.
Calories in Mango Milk shake
Mango is high in Vitamin A, B2, B6, B12, C, Calcium, Phosphorous, and Magnesium.
A normal glass of unsweetened mango shake contains 170 calories while with sugar it can reach up to 250 calories.